Cleaning the pool manually is a big pain and takes a lot of time. Hiring someone is too expensive so your best bet is to use a pool cleaner. If you're looking for the best pool cleaner then look no further.
This list of best automatic pool cleaner reviews was created because, like you, we wanted to choose the best ones but couldn't find good and honest information on the web.
Whether it's your first time buying, or you've had several cleaners before - we'll make sure you'll get the best automatic pool cleaner for you because cleaning your pool yourself can be a pain.
Take it from someone who has had many different pool vacuums over the years.
Table of Comparison
The Different Types of Pool Cleaners
Robotic Pool Cleaners
Robotic pool cleaners are great because they are convenient and ready to use. True to their name, the really good ones can totally replace a pool man and keep your pool clean throughout the year.
With minimal maintenance and an easy setup, they are perfect as both in ground pools and as an above ground pool cleaner.
They are truly automatic.
Pressure Pool Cleaners
Typically better for in ground pools, pressure pool cleaners can be effective cleaners as long as the pressure is enough to get rid of the dirt and debris. This can depend more on your pool system than the actual cleaner.
Pressure pool cleaners that require an external booster pump which means it is best suited for in ground pools.
Most aren't great as above ground pool cleaners.
Suction Pool Cleaners
Suction side pool cleaners attach to the suction side of your pool's plumbing and rely on your pool to get power.
They are on the cheaper end, but still provide a great clean and reduce the amount of work you need to do.
The pricier ones are great for heavy duty pool cleaning, but these are best as in ground pool cleaners and most should not be used for above ground pools.
How To Choose
Our list of the top automatic pool cleaners is a great start point for anyone who is looking to buy. However, we still recommend you look at more reviews in the above categories to best suit your budget and pool needs.
There are a ton of factors consider when purchasing the best automatic pool vacuum, and you want to make sure you are making an educated decision. We'll go over the most important factors to help you choose the right one for your pool!
Pool Cleaner Cost
This is a no brainer - nobody wants to spend a ton of money on a mediocre pool cleaner. Choosing the right one for your budget is the most important factor, but make sure you don't buy one that is too cheap that will be broken in 6 months.
Automatic pool cleaners run anywhere from low 100's to a thousand bucks! While even the most expensive one is a lot of money, it is a one time purchase that will save you a ton of time and will save you money if you are using a pool man.
If you have an in ground pool then you will want to look at suction pool cleaners because they are cheap pool cleaners compared to the other types. However, they are not good for above ground pools - in which case you would need a slightly pricier robotic pool cleaner.
Cheaper is not always better, but fortunately we do recommend cheap pool cleaners that are affordable and still provide a great clean for a long time.
In Ground vs Above Ground
There is a distinct difference between in ground pools and above ground pools. If you have an above ground pool then robotic pool cleaners are the best bet for you. This is because there is no suction side port that suction pool cleaners and pressure pool cleaners use.
However, if you have an in ground pool then you don't really need to think worry about this section. This is because almost all types of pool vacuums are pretty effective at in ground pools.
Looking at the type of pool you have is important before purchasing an automatic pool cleaner. You don't want to buy a cleaner that is great for concrete pools if you have a fiber glass glass! Pools made of different materials sometimes requires different cleaners.
In our reviews we typically select the cleaners that are able to clean a variety of pool types, and if a particular one is better for one type of pool than the other, then it might be better for you. Be sure to take this into account because it is very easy to forget and order the wrong automatic pool vacuum.
If you order the wrong one it will still clean, but it will require a lot more work from you. So take 5 minutes to understand what your pool is made of!
Pool Shape and Size
Pool shape is something to take into consideration as well. Some pool vacuums are not that smart and may only work on really simple pool shapes such as rectangles and circles. They will still clean pools of more complex shapes, but they will probably miss spots and require more effort from the owner.
On the other hand some cleaners are really good at cleaning swimming pools of complex shapes. While they may be a little pricier because they are better, they will require a lot less effort and don't require a lot of intervention.
Finally, make sure you take your pool size into account. If you have a larger pool you will need a better pool cleaner to effectively clean your pool. This isn't always the case, and with some models you can simply purchase extra hose length or other add-ons to make up for it. Small pools don't require are much easier to clean and therefore do not need as nice a cleaner as larger pools might.
Debris in Pool
It's simple. Some pools get more debris than others. If your pool only gets a small amount of debris then you don't need to waste money purchasing a premium, heavy duty pool cleaner and you can get a lighter cheaper one.
On the other hand if you do get a lot of larger debris (for example if you have a tree next to your pool) then you will want one that can pick up all types of debris and has a larger vacuum bag. This way you don't have to waste time emptying out the bag and manually getting the larger types of debris.
Best Automatic Pool Cleaner
With our reviews and guidance, I am sure you will be able to choose the best automatic pool cleaner that meets your requirements. Check out 3 favorite ones below:
- Effectively cleans above-ground swimming pools (not recommended for Intex/soft-sided pools), including dished-out bottoms up to 72 inches.
- One moving part technology, eliminates annoying hammer or flapper noise; works quickly, effectively, and quietly.
- Unique Deflector Wheel helps prevent it from getting caught on steps, ladders and corners!
- Comes pre-assembled for easy installation and includes 32 feet of feed hose.
- AG Disc allows the Ranger to glide effortlessly along the bottom of your pool, up the sides and around steps, cleaning your whole pool.
- Hassle free clean. Easy-to-use, light weight single button operation in-ground robotic pool cleaner with a 1 year manufacturer's assurance, ideal for pools up to 33 feet.
- Schedule your Nautilus CC to automatically clean using 3 settings- every day, every other day, or every 3rd day.
- No random patterns. CleverClean Technology scans your swimming pool and uses advanced algorithms to efficiently clean your pool's floor and walls.
- Effortless cleaning. Active brushing scrubs away debris you don't see. Large top loading filter basket traps and locks leaves and dirt leaving your swimming pool sparkling clean.
- Quick payback on your investment. No hoses or booster pump required. Consumes 8X less energy than suction and pressure cleaners.
- Powered by triple jets and advanced cleaning technology
- Works in all in-ground pools of any size and shape.Tail Sweep PRO Compatible
- Sweeps, scrubs, and vacuums the bottom and walls of your pool.If they are low or the wheels are not spinning then check the in-line filter for debris. If clear and the wheels still aren't spinning then check the water management system for clogs. If the RPM's are slightly below the prescribed range then remove the restrictor disc from the wall connector. If the wheels are moving too quickly then install the red restrictor disc
- Operates on pool circulation pump. No booster pump required
- Includes 31-feet of feed hose, and single chamber filter bad for capturing large debris. Vacuum Inlet : 2 ¼"
We hoped you found this list of the best automatic pool reviews helpful. We don't endorse anything we don't like and aren't afraid to bash the bad pool cleaners. This is because we don't want you to get ripped off on a bad one.
However, make sure you take the time to understand the different factors to consider before purchasing one. Even if a pool cleaner is the best overall there may be a better one for you that excels for your type of pool.
Like always, if you have any questions or want to mention your experience, please feel free to leave a comment!