The Hayward Aquanaut 400 is a four-wheeled suction side pool cleaner that really does a quality a job of cleaning. The product is innovative and versatile; it is also quite impressive considering the features that the manufacturers have been able to add given it’s a suction cleaner.
- The Aquanaut comes with an adjustable roller skirt that helps to maintain constant suction on uneven surfaces
- The unit features multiple pre-programmed steering sequences that ensure maximum coverage as it cleans your pool
- It has a four-wheel drive base that helps it stay upright as it cleans the pool and makes it ideal for pools with deep ends
- It also features V-flex technology that provides maximum power at any flow
- It can clean pool surfaces made from vinyl concrete gunite fiberglass tile and pebble
- The Aquanaut has three intake throats that allow it to clean up larger debris from the surfaces of the pool
- The V-flex technology of the Aquanaut includes self-adjusting variable vanes that increase the size and amount of debris that can pass through the filter leaving pool even more sparkly and clean.
- The hose length is 40.”
- It can clean up to 20’’x 40’’ pools and pools with deep ends
- The minimum pump size of the Aquanaut is 1/2HP or 35 GPM
- The dimensions of the Aquanaut are 11x14x8.5 inches
- It weighs 19lbs
- The product comes with a two-year warranty
Things We Liked
- Incredible grip
- Doesn’t lose suction
- interchangeable parts to easily increase performance
- self adjusts to get debris
- 2 year warranty
Things We Didn’t Like
- Tires can tear down rough pool surfaces
- Not great at climbing high (walls and steps)
This suction pool cleaner uses an adjustable roller skirt which it uses to maintain constant suction in the pool. The roller skirts in front and behind the central suction inlet can lift up over the obstacle and then turn around to come down after passing the obstacle. This action helps the pool cleaner to retain its suction power.
The presence of multi pre-programmed steering sequences that provides intelligent movement and maximum coverage as it moves around and maneuvers in the pool. The Hayward PHS41CST has three different programmed steering system that moves it from 90 to 540 degrees making it much more flexible than cheaper suction pool cleaners like the XtremePower US.
One of the unique features of the Hayward PHS41CST it the four wheel drive which enhances the cleaning by keeping this suction cleaner upright as it cleans. This is a very important feature for owners of pools with deep ends.
Self-Adjusting Turbine Vanes
On the AquaNaut 400 cleaner, the turbine vanes are quite flexible. What it means in its basic form is that it can be adjusted to allow huge chunks of debris through the cleaner without affecting or stopping the turbines in any way.
It’s called the V-Flex technology, and its sole purpose is to reduce the chances of debris clogging up the turbine.
Does it climb pool walls?
According to the manufacturer, the Hayward Aquanaut is designed to climb walls, but there could be problems that prevent it from climbing your pool walls such as not having enough suction power to get the cleaner up the wall. You could also check the position of the hose floats. That’s another factor that will affect how fast it climbs.
Some customers complained about their Aquanaut trying to climb out of the pool, and this is probably caused by having too much suction power or a problem with the bypass valve or the vacuum plate. One of these components might need adjustment and could be causing the problem of your Aquanaut trying to climb out of the pool.
You may have a bit of trouble getting someone to help you fix, adjust or set up your Aquanaut and getting spare parts from the manufacturer to replace the bad parts of your vacuum might be difficult. Although the company assures a durable design backed by a network of reliable service, from the reviews of several buyers, it may that seem that they have fallen short of this promise.
The Aquanaut is a decent pool vacuum, and it will clean your pool quite well. If you want it to perform even better, buying extra accessories is inevitable. For instance, a leaf canister, if you want it to pick up leaves from your pool. The vacuum is reasonably priced and worth every penny. However, if you want a slightly cheaper cleaner then check out Pentair’s Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark.