Last Updated on
Every pool owner that I know wants to have a clean and healthy pool that doesn't require much effort from them. There are a couple of cleaners that can handle the tedious work of cleaning your pool automatically and the most popular kind are robotic swimming pool cleaners.
One of such cleaners is the Polaris 9550 Sports Robotic Cleaner. If you're looking for cleaners of similar quality (but less features) then great alternatives are our favorite: Dolphin Nautilus, and the Dolphin Triton.
The Polaris 9550 Sport is a robotic cleaner that comes loaded with some impressive features and functions, but how well does the product perform these functions?
In this post, we will explain what the big deal is about this cleaner, its features, specifications, how it works as well as the pros and cons of owning of these babies.
- Motion Sensing Remote. This robotic cleaner can canister with a remote control. It gives you total control in the palm of your hand.
- Easy Clean Filter Cannister. The easy clean filter cannister will trap in debris and prevent it from circulating into your pool. It can also be emptied by easily shaking and spraying it afterward.
- Easy Lift System. When you're done using the Polaris 9550 Sport, you won't have to drag it by the hose to lift it out of the water. You can simply control it from the remote control in your palm to move to the desired location where you can grab it and pull it out of the water.
- Vortex Vacuum Technology. This robotic cleaner boasts of 25% more power and more capacity to contain debris than other cleaners. This feature allows the Polaris 9550 to pick up larger debris while maintaining maximum suction.
- 7-day programmable timer. You can literally set this robotic cleaner to start work when you leave home for work and leave it to do its thing. This cleaner also comes with pre-programmed cleaning pattern and a coated alloy caddy for storage and transport.
- ActivMotion Sensor. The Sensor is used to control the movement of the Polaris 9550 Sport in the pool allowing it to cover the whole depth of the pool. The ActivMotion Sensor promises unmatchable navigation in all types of pool, regardless of size.
Things We Liked
- Cleans waterline and walls effectively
- Great with all types of debris
- Motion sensing remote control
- Pre-programmed cleaning patterns
Things We Didn't Like
- Mediocre instruction manual
- Programmed timer may have issues
The 9550 has a four-wheel drive base outfitted with Aqua Trax tires for all types of pool surfaces. Because of these special tires it easily navigate the pol surface and can climb walls without falling.
Not only does it clean the walls and the floor, but it can clean the cove, steps as well as the waterline.
How it Works
Robotic cleaners do not need a booster pump, suction port or skimmers to function, neither do they have to work with the central filtration system of the pool. All you need to do to get this equipment cracking is to plug it into a power outlet and put it in your pool.
With this Polaris 9550 Cleaner, you can program its cleaning pattern in 7 different ways so you can drop it in the pool before you head out to work in the morning and it will handle your cleaning before you come back from work.
This pool cleaner is easy to install and use. It will complete its cleaning cycle within a short time as it covers the entire pool and it will clean your pool in less than two hours regardless of size. Polaris 9550, unlike some of its competitors, will clean every area of the pool.
It will clean the waterline, steps, and seats of the pool. It's versatile and provides a forceful rear water propulsion system to clean debris out of the hard to reach areas and corners.
This cleaner also has a rear-water propulsion system that allows the cleaner to reach the debris at the bottom of the pool steps as well as tight and hard to reach corners.
This pool cleaner has two gray scrubbers on the front end to remove debris which is then sucked up by the Vortex Vacuum Technology. Other forms of debris are trapped inside the cleaner's canister which has a fine mesh to filter the water before sending it back into the pool effectively.
- Easy Lift System: Yes
- Easy Clean Filter Canister: Yes
- Vortex Vacuum Technology: Yes
- ActivMotion Sensor: Yes
- Remote Control: Yes. Motion-Sensing
- Cleaning Cycle: 7-Day Programmable
- Cleaning Modes: Floor, Floor/Wall, Waterline Only, Custom
- Dirty Canister Indicator: Yes
- Drive: 4WD
- Rear Water Cleaning Stream: Yes
- Brush: Solid-Blade
- Cable Length: 70' Cable / 60' Pool
- Caddy: Yes
The robotic 9550 in-ground cleaner works well as a robotic cleaner inbuilt with modern features that will make any pool owner droll. It’s sold along with a luxurious caddy for easy storage and transportation to and from the pool.
There is an easy lift system which will come handy when you need to stop the cleaning cycle. At the touch of a button, the Polaris 9550 will move to a particular location that you require it to, and then it will climb the wall and wait for you to lift it up from the pool into the caddy. Once you pick it up from the water, it will drain itself automatically, so it becomes lighter for you to carry.
The Polaris 9550 sports a sleek blue and gray finish with black wheels. It looks like a sports car from afar, but when you come closer, you'd see it's a robot. There is a double insulated chassis made out of plastic. The chassis measures 16.9 by 18.9 by 10.6 inches and weighs 21 pounds.
There are a couple of accessories that comes with this robotic cleaner that makes it function properly.
One of such is the head unit which powers the cleaner. There is also a flexible 70-feet cable that is used to connect the cleaner with the head unit. This cable is flexible and tangle resistant, so you don't have to worry about it getting tangled into challenging and hard to reach corners. The ease of use of the cable makes it easy to wrap up and store on the caddy when you're done with cleaning.
Premium Design. This robotic cleaner has an aquadynamic and innovative design. Included in the box are a lid and a filter canister with large capacity, eliminating the need for a messy filter bags.
The Polaris 9550 sport is one of the more expensive robotic cleaners, but it works quite well. The features are very promising and most of them, it delivers great value for the price.
The technology and design of the product are very impressive and make it a first-rate cleaner. It has a few drawbacks, but it is a learning robot, and so far, no robot has been able to deliver a 100%. So if quality is one of the most important factors, you should definitely consider this product.
If you're not completely sold on the Polaris Sport then check out this Dolphin Premier review. The Dolphin Premier has a similar price point, slightly better features, and we consider it a slightly better luxury cleaner.